Moving Out: Living at UJ
By Jacob Just
In July, incoming UJ freshman received their housing assignments for the upcoming school year. You may be super excited to move out and have a roommate, or maybe not so much.
Take a deep breath and get ready because move in day will be here before we know it.
When you receive your housing assignment, it’s probably tempting to look them up on Instagram or Facebook if you don’t know them. Before move in day, message or email them to introduce yourself and maybe coordinate things, such as who is bringing what for the dorm. You’d rather be safe than sorry and have too many things in the dorm.
When preparing to move into the dorms, remember that you don’t need to bring your entire room. Bring enough clothes to last you a while, bring your mini fridge, TVs, and school supplies, but remember that you are living with someone else who also has things to bring, so keep the packing list in moderation.
A big tip for me is that you don’t necessarily have to have the most decked out dorm room. Remember – you’re going to be a broke college student soon, so save as much as possible. Go to the thrift store to look for clothes, dorm supplies, etc. If you can reuse notebooks and school supplies from high school, do so!
My suggested packing list:
- XL Twin size Bedding (Sheets, blankets, pillows, etc.)
- Laundry stuff (hamper, detergent, etc.)
- Garbage can
- 3M Hooks (These are SO helpful)
- Money – I would recommend that you have enough saved up to last you at least the first few weeks of class. Who wants to work those first few weeks of classes?
- Devices (Phone, Laptop, etc.)
- TV – Everyone will bring their own TV, trust me.
- Microwave – You really only need one microwave in each dorm room.
- Winter Gear – I forgot to bring this until like November my freshman year.
- Accessories (lamps, rugs, pictures, etc.)
To all of the incoming freshman, I welcome you to Jamestown! If you have questions about moving, feel free to email me: email@example.com